The climate emergency is here. The world as we know it is running out of time and the window for small, incremental action has closed. Instead, we need an emergency-level response to avert climate catastrophe—and leaders with the courage and mandate to take bold action. Our critical window of opportunity to sound the alarm is ever-narrowing and the time to act is now.
ACE’s mission is to educate, inspire and support young people to lead the fight for their future. We achieve our mission by reaching tens of millions of young people with our programs each year, training a new generation of leaders, amplifying youth voices to shift the narrative, and increasing diverse youth participation in our democracy.
ACE is thrilled at the opportunity to invest in strategic communications across the organization. In the upcoming year, we have committed to ambitious goals, including reaching over 77 million young people across owned, earned and paid media, reaching 46 million young people with our storytelling work, focusing on microvideos and content from youth climate leaders in ACE Action Teams, and other ACE campaigns, and growing ACE’s earned media reach.
Our staff and board members are dynamic, diverse, and talented, and our team is currently growing to meet this critical moment of opportunity.
The Communications Director will advance the mission, vision, values and goals of the organization by directing the strategy and implementation of external communications. The scope of responsibilities includes
- Communications oversight and strategy:
- Oversee all national communications to ensure alignment with ACE brand, values, mission, and strategic priorities.
- Lead communications strategy over multiple timescales: annual communications calendar, as well as rapid response to emerging news and events.
- Manage communications strategy and collaborate with teammates across departments, including campaigns, civic engagement, education and storytelling to implement communications.
- Run weekly editorial meeting to coordinate communications across channels and departments
- Manage ACE communications calendar to optimize cadence of email and text to various audiences
- External Communications:
- Raise the exposure and impact of ACE’s grassroots organizing activities, including the intersection of ACE’s national campaigns and distributed organizing youth Action Team actions.
- Write and send national communications via e-mail and SMS to ACE members, donors, external partners, board members, and other stakeholders about action opportunities, ACE success stories, and breaking news.
- Develop communications plan and talking points in advance of and in response to ACE events, breaking stories, and climate emergencies.
- Refine and maintain ACE written voice and tone across communications.
- Manage and oversee review process of written communications.
- Earned Media:
- Constantly pitch ACE’s work with earned media outlets and reporters to generate press hits
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media, key opinion leaders and external stakeholders to garner earned media.
- Write press releases for earned media opportunities.
- Work with the Associate Director of Communications and Partnerships on select earned media opportunities, including print, podcast, television and other modes.
This is a full-time, remote position based anywhere in the United States. The Communications Director will work from home, meet regularly by video chat with ACE team members, partners and youth, and conduct activities both online and in-person, when safe. The Communications Director must be available for regular travel within the United States to participate in conferences, select actions, events, and to attend staff retreats. No car is required and transportation will be covered by ACE.
- Communications Strategy: In partnership with the Executive Team, set communications strategy and calendar for the organization, including writing communications plans in response to news and events.
- External Communications: Write, style, program and send mass external communications to key stakeholders via email, SMS and other channels as required.
- Earned Media Management: Identify and highlight wins and success stories from ACE’s work and identify outlets to share these wins with the broader world. Represent ACE in select earned media opportunities, including print journalism, live and recorded interviews, and press conferences. Routinely write and release press releases and other communications, regularly contact press, and organize media events and opportunities.
- Management: Manage communications work by teammates across departments as well as manage the Associate Director of Communications and Partnerships.
- 5+ years experience in communications, campaigning, or advocacy work, preferably with a climate or other social justice focus.
- Experience on camera, speaking to press, and giving interviews for screen and print.
- Strong writing skills and experience, including writing press releases and other communications (via email programs such as Engaging Networks or EveryAction or mobile via MobileCommons).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate and manage relationships with diverse audiences.
- Existing relationships with journalists at national or regional media outlets.
- Ability to make strategic decisions in real-time based on breaking news or events.
- Existing expertise or willingness to master trends in climate education, youth development, youth organizing and the climate movement.
- Awareness of the issues of concern to young people, including climate change and climate justice, and a passion for empowering youth to take action.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision, and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and creativity.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Staff management experience.
- Competency in utilizing CRMs (such as Salesforce)
- Strong digital tools across platforms. ACE platforms include Google Suite, Slack, Salesforce, Google Data Studio, Engaging Networks, Mobile Commons, Thrutext/Thrutalk, and many more.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Annual salary range: $90,000-110,000, commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b retirement savings plan, Vacation, Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, 2 Floating Holidays, 2 Community Service Floating Holidays, sick time, two weeks of full-staff time off (July 4 week and Christmas-New Years week) and 13 observed holidays
- ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity
- Location: Remote
ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values diversity, equity, and inclusion and views the climate crisis as a social justice crisis. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), people who experience gender oppression, people with disabilities, and people who identify as members of the LGBTQIA+ community are particularly encouraged to apply.