What We Do
Alliance for Climate Education's mission is to educate young people on the science of climate change and empower them to take action. By empowering youth to take action within a frame of justice and optimism, we are shifting the national discourse on climate in ways that are proven to affect public opinion and policy.
ACE does two things best.
First, we teach climate science that puts teenagers at the center of the story. Our live, in-school assembly is award-winning and proven to work.
Second, we give every student a chance to take action. For some, it’s a small lifestyle change. For others, it’s hands-on preparation for a lifetime of leadership.
We educate young people on climate science and solutions.
The ACE Assembly
The ACE Assembly combines climate science with pop culture entertainment to create an unforgettable experience. Since 2009, ACE has reached over two million students.
Our Climate Our Future
For schools unable to host a live ACE Assembly, we offer Our Climate Our Future, an online multimedia resource featuring our signature mix of dynamic animation, music, video, and interactivity. It teaches the latest climate science and inspires young people to take action.
ACE supports teachers with best-in-class lesson plans, a monthly newsletter with professional development opportunities, and dynamic online resources to deepen students’ knowledge beyond the ACE Assembly.
"ACE provides an unparalleled climate science program that sticks with high school students. High schools should jump at the chance to take part." —Bill McKibben, Author and Co-Founder of 350.org
"A legendary presentation." —Ishmael Cruz, teacher at Lower Manhattan Arts Academy, New York, NY
"Without a doubt, this presentation on climate change was the best school-wide assembly I have witnessed in my 18 years as an educator."
—Matt Zehner, Teacher at Branham High School, San Jose, CA
We give every student a chance to take action.
The ACE Action Fellowship is a yearlong training program that gives young people the knowledge, skills, and confidence to be powerful climate leaders. We have developed and tested our model through workshops delivered to more than 4,000 students over the past three years.
In each ACE region, we work with local partners to connect Action Fellows to climate campaigns where they can have immediate, real world impact. Our Action Fellows strengthen these efforts with their unique skills, and deepen their own commitment to be lifelong leaders.
DOT: Do One Thing
Small actions add up. Students are invited to pledge a DOT, or Do One Thing to protect the climate. It’s a simple first step that shows the world that individual actions matter. ACE has tracked over 300,000 DOTs.
We Power Forward
ACE's We Power Forward campaign is a unique way for young people to take climate action and fight for renewable energy. Through our interactive, digital platform participants are able to support the work of ACE Action Fellows across the country both digitally and by attending local actions in person.
Students have started Action Teams at schools across the country and are using ACE’s online resources to make an impact. ACE Action Teams have completed over 2,100 climate projects including industrial composting systems, school-wide energy audits, and solar panel installations.
"The ACE Action Fellowship has given me the skills I need to turn my passion into action. It has given me the confidence and the opportunity to speak up, and restored my hope in my generation's ability to enact change."
—Liza, Action Fellow in Boston
We Know it Works
ACE programs have won numerous awards including:
- 2015 White House Champion of Change Award for Climate Literacy
- 2015 National Center for Science Education Friend of the Planet Award
- 2013 AQMD Award for Public Education on Air Quality Issues
- 2012 EPA Environmental Merit Award
- 2011 George Mason University Climate Change Communicator of the Year Award
A study of the ACE Assembly by Stanford, Yale, and George Mason University was published in the journal Climatic Change and showed that viewing the ACE Assembly leads to:
- 27% increase in climate science knowledge
- 43% increase in students who are concerned or alarmed about climate change
- 59% of students increasing their intentions to take action
- 60% of students increasing their intention to get friends and family to take action
- The number of students talking to parents and peers about climate change more than doubling
A recent survey of ACE Action Fellows found:
- 82% say they have spoken to an elected official about climate change
- 100% say they will vote for a pro-climate candidate
- 63% say they were influenced by ACE to go to college; 45% of those will major in the STEM fields
Through our work, we are helping to transform the climate movement into one that is just, inclusive, and equitable:
- 60% of the students reached with the ACE Assembly are youth of color
- 77% of all schools we reach are public
- 65% of Action Fellows are youth of color
- ACE programs connect climate change to issues of justice and equity
We are training the leaders of tomorrow to have impact today.