Remote, Twin Cities, Minnesota
TEMPORARY, NON-EXEMPT, POSITION THROUGH MID-NOVEMBER 2022
Great candidates will have some of the skills and experience listed below:
- You LOVE canvassing. You really really love it: A massive portion of this job is focused on canvassing, in addition to other direct voter contact. You love canvassing, and enjoy doing it all the time.
- Experienced in field, organizing, and/or civic engagement: You’ve knocked on doors, done phonebanking, and know the ins and outs of direct voter contact.
- You enjoy working with a field team to accomplish big goals: You’ve managed volunteers or a similar kind of field campaign to achieve big goals, and you relish the opportunity to do field work, train people to do better field work, and optimize field outcomes.
The Organizer will implement ACE’s 501(c)(3) nonpartisan civic engagement program in key priority areas across the state. The scope of responsibilities will include, but is not limited to: direct voter contact, cutting and managing turf, managing data and digital tools, relational organizing, voter registration activities, in-state communications (e.g. text, email, and other modes), and managing a large number of canvassers doing voter registration and other voter contact work.
In this position, the Organizer will work to strengthen ACE’s role and impact in advocating for an end to the era of fossil fuels, a swift and equitable transition to renewable energy, and an increase in diverse youth participation in our democracy, by supporting young people to take action for climate justice and raise their voices to protect voting rights and civic participation.
This is a full time position based locally in one of the locations listed:
- FLORIDA: Orange County, FL; Volusia County, FL
- NORTH CAROLINA: Charlotte, NC and the surrounding areas
- OHIO: Cleveland, OH and surrounding areas
- PENNSYLVANIA: Pittsburgh, PA, Collar Counties: Delaware, Montgomery, Chester, or Bucks, Philadelphia, PA
- WISCONSIN: Milwaukee, WI, Racine, WI
The Organizer must be available for frequent and regular travel within the state, to participate in field work, actions, organizing, events, and other work as needed. This position requires access to a car and must maintain a current, valid driver’s license.
- Voter contact (75%): Conduct field-based civic engagement work to increase diverse youth participation in our democracy, locally in the state of hire. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Voter registration, voter education, GOTV
- Relational organizing
- Coordinating and cutting turf with funders and partners
- Managing data and the associated digital tools
- Doing in-person and digital direct voter contact
- Support young people and other volunteers do direct voter contact
- Organizing management and optimization (25%): Conduct work to increase effectiveness of organizing, civic engagement, and fieldwork. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Managing paid canvassers to improve organizing and fieldwork outcomes
- Coaching and supervising Field Canvassers at VR collections sites
- Daily and weekly scheduling of VR shifts
- Daily VR data collection and reporting to Civic Engagement Manager
- Attend and participate in weekly check ins with field canvass staff
- Work closely with Quality Control on best practices and implement QC protocols with Civic Engagement Manager for all Civic Engagement staff and contractors
- Report to Civic Engagement Manager any obstacles or field canvassing red flags i.e. VR fraud, dead turf, issues with other VR partners in the field, etc.
- Follow 501c3 compliance in all Civic Engagement field work and representation of ACE during tenure of voter registration campaign
- Review every canvassers packet prior to submitting to QC for QC processing
This description reflects ACE’s assignment of essential functions, it does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. ACE retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position at any time.
- 1-3 years experience in civic engagement field organizing, and experience leading civic engagement work, including direct voter contact
- Experience in advocacy work, youth engagement or youth development, preferably with a climate or other social justice focus
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision, and meet deadlines
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and creativity
- Demonstrated competence in supervising a team and managing projects
- Ability to train and coach youth
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Hourly Pay: $25
- Generous benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b retirement savings plan, Vacation, 2 Floating Holidays, 2 Community Service Floating Holidays, Sick time and 13 observed holidays
- ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity
ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values diversity, equity and inclusion and views the climate crisis as a social justice crisis. People who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), people who experience gender oppression, people with disabilities, and people who identify as members of the LGBTQIA+ community are particularly encouraged to apply.