Climate Literacy: Essential Principles of Climate Science
These principles are published by U.S. Global Change Research Program
- The Sun is the primary source of energy for Earth’s climate system.
- Climate is regulated by complex interactions among the components of the Earth system.
- Life on earth depends on, and is shaped by, and affects climate.
- Climate varies over space and time through both natural and man-made processes.
- Our understanding of the climate system is improved through observations, theoretical studies and modeling.
- Human activities are impacting the climate system.
- Climate change will have consequences for the Earth system and human lives.