New York City
ACE has been active in New York City since 2010. To date, we’ve educated over 178,780 NYC students with the live ACE Assembly and trained 340 young people as climate leaders. In the 2015-2016 school year, our ACE Action Fellows joined with Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and Sane Energy Project on energy justice advocacy, and a campaign focused on securing a large-scale, long-term commitment to offshore wind development in New York. This school year, we’re looking forward to continuing these partnerships to advocate for climate justice, good jobs, offshore wind in New York, and to ensure that 80% of New York City’s government operations are powered with renewable energy by 2050.
Highlights from 2015-2016:
- Fellow Victoria Barrett delivered an inspirational speech at the United Nations headquarters in NYC, representing the youth voice at a High-level Thematic Debate on Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Action Fellows attended the #WinWindNYC Rally in NYC. Fellow Desiree Obaji delivered a powerful speech at the press conference.
- Action Fellows created art with the People’s Climate Arts for a People’s Climate Movement rally calling for divestment from fossil fuels and investment in clean energy, public housing, and good jobs.
- Action Fellows served as youth reporters at the United Nations’ Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) event and at the signing of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Action Fellows provided testimonies at the Clean Energy Standard Hearing. Fellows Desiree Obaji and Mikey Lampel gave inspiring speeches at the rally before the hearing.