Location: Remote, working from a home office
Action for the Climate Emergency (ACE) educates, inspires, and supports young people to lead the fight for their future. We ensure they have everything they need to understand the science and advocate for solutions to the climate emergency.
We envision a world in which a global movement, rich in youth leadership, has turned the tide on climate change. We believe an equitable, biodiverse, carbon-neutral future is still within reach if we, the people, compel our leaders to act.
The Program Manager will work to advance the programmatic and strategic growth of ACE through implementing ACE’s 501(c)(3) distributed organizing and campaign work in states nationwide that do not have a state-based Program Manager, across the organization’s primary issue areas of climate education and storytelling, stopping fossil fuel expansion, and ushering in a new era of renewable energy.
This is a full-time, remote position based anywhere in the US. Candidates will work from a home office and will participate in in-person events as safety allows. The Program Manager will work from home, meet regularly by video chat with ACE team members, partners, and youth, and conduct the majority of activities both online and in-person, when safe. The Program Manager must be available for regular travel within the US, to participate in fieldwork, conferences, actions, organizing, events, and to attend staff retreats as COVID-19 safety guidance allows.
- Action Team recruitment, management, and coaching: Directly recruit and manage 100 Action Teams nationwide participating in state-based climate advocacy and civic engagement work, including all aspects of recruitment, on-boarding, training, engagement, advocacy, civic engagement, and legislative action
- Field-based Campaign Work: Conduct field-based (in-person, when safe) and digital organizing and campaign work to increase diverse youth participation and mentor Action Teams, Action Team Network members to take action via various campaigns. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Recruiting, engaging and coaching state-based Action Teams
- Implementing campaigns via state-based Action Teams
- Creating campaign toolkits for Action Teams and their members state-wide, or locally
- Administering distributed organizing tools and technologies
- Doing in-person and digital campaign events, mass calls, frequent trainings, launches or on-boarding events, and other live events as needed.
- Digital engagement and outreach: Manage the state-based communications to the Action Team Network and Action Teams, including working with any other in-state staff.
- Write and send emails, text messages and other communications, and manage digital tools and technologies, to engage youth activists in the ACE Action Team Network and ACE Action Team members in the state.
- Manage our digital tools to measure the success of campaigns and campaign actions. Regularly participate in the experimentation and evaluation of said tools.
- Communicate with ACE supporters to identify and recruit young people to start or join ACE Action Teams to participate in campaigns, climate advocacy and civic engagement work.
- Manage and ensure use of ACE’s learning and community management systems, activist communication platforms, peer-to-peer engagement platforms, and other apps as needed.
- Content Development: Support development of video content, social media campaigns, live events, and other relevant content creation as needed. Use short-form video ecosystems like TikTok, Reels or Triller to keep on top of local policies, events, coalitions, campaigns, trends and related hashtags. Create platform-specific content and copy for
- Weekly campaign actions to engage state-based Action Teams and the broader Action Team Network members in the state.
- State-based campaign pages, toolkits, social media, websites, and other campaign collateral.
- Campaign strategy and implementation: Stay tuned in to local and state-based work of Action Teams to inform strategy, and help co-create and implement state-based climate education, civic engagement and climate advocacy campaigns to grow our base and engage new young people in our campaign work. This may include:
- Close collaboration with partners and coalitions to coordinate local and state-based campaigns, and becoming the expert in state-based organizing and advocacy issues as they relate to youth, climate, democracy, energy, education and other similar issue areas.
- Legislative Advocacy: Meet with elected leaders to discuss relevant policies, events, or opportunities to take leadership, supporting Action Team Network members or ACE Action Team members to do the same, or participating in coordinated advocacy in coalition with partners.
- Close collaboration with other staff on engagement strategy and to thoughtfully execute winning civic engagement and climate advocacy campaigns locally in the state.
- A minimum of 2-3 years experience in field organizing, distributed organizing, advocacy work, youth engagement or youth development, project management, preferably with a climate or other social justice focus
- Experience leading campaign work for related social justice causes
- Strong analytical skills with ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision, and meet deadlines. Strong track record of time and project management.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and creativity
- Existing expertise or willingness to master trends in climate education, youth development, youth organizing and the climate movement.
- Awareness of the issues of concern to young people, including climate change and climate justice, and a passion for empowering youth to take action
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate and manage partnerships, internal and external. Excellent communicator, reliable and clear.
- Demonstrated competence in supervising a team and managing projects
- Ability to train and coach youth
- Experience creating social content
- Spanish language is a plus
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Annual salary range: $55,000-$65,800 commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b retirement savings plan, Paid Parental Leave, Flexible Work Schedule, Vacation, 2 Floating Holidays, 2 Community Service Floating Holidays, Sick time and 12 observed holidays
- ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity
- Location: Remote
Please apply by emailing a cover letter and resume to [email protected], with “Program Manager, Distributed Organizing” in the subject line. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEOC guidelines.
ACE is an equal opportunity employer that highly values diversity, equity, and inclusion and views the climate crisis as a social justice crisis. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), people who experience gender oppression, people with disabilities, and people who identify as members of the LGBTQIA+ community are particularly encouraged to apply.