ACE Action Fellowship in Milwaukee, WI
WHAT IS ACE?
Young people have the most to lose when it comes to climate change and the most to gain by solving it. That is why ACE educates high school students about climate change and empowers them to lead on climate solutions.
WHAT IS THE ACTION FELLOWSHIP?
The ACE Action Fellowship teaches students the knowledge and skills to be confident climate leaders. Fellows are high school students or recent ACE graduates who meet in Milwaukee weekly over the course of the school year. Over 200 high school students across the country have graduated from the fellowship over the past 4 years.
Throughout the program, Fellows work with ACE and partners to increase public support for climate action and hold elected officials accountable on climate science and the need for solutions.
We are very excited to launch our first Wisconsin Fellowship Program this year!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
ACE Fellows will:
- Receive training and one-on-one mentorship from ACE staff;
- Build knowledge of climate science and solutions;
- Develop skills in public communication, as well as planning and executing projects;
- Work together with other Fellows on a local solution to climate change;
- Advocate for climate change solutions through writing, public speaking, or creative arts;
- Build their resume with skills and experience;
- Be invited to apply for additional opportunities through ACE’s partners;
- Receive a recommendation letter for college or a future job;
- Be a part of a national network of youth leaders;
- Earn service learning hours for school (depending on school policy);
- Receive a $5 transportation stipend for each Fellowship meeting attended;
- Receive a $100 participation stipend per semester
HOW DO STUDENTS APPLY?
The application period for the 2019-2020 Fellowship is open! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. APPLY NOW!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
High school students and recent ACE graduates (students who have been through the fellowship before) can apply. All applicants should be passionate about climate change, committed to working with ACE for the entire program (September-June), available for all program events, and willing to learn and grow.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS FOR FELLOWS?
To participate in the Action Fellowship, Fellows commit to:
- Attend Fellowship meetings every week
- Attend kickoff retreat and occasional weekend retreats and special events
- Respond to emails and texts within 24 hours
- Show up with enthusiasm, willingness to learn & be challenged, and a positive attitude!
WHAT DO FELLOWS DO?
Build skills. Take action. Advocate for change. In addition to weekly meetings, Fellows advocate for local climate solutions through campaigns and events. Fellows often work to get petition signatures, speak at events, meet with elected officials, and do outreach to peers and the community.